Go Yellow in Road Safety Week and help to raise awareness of road safety and the devastating consequences of road crashes.
The Yellow Ribbon Road Safety Alliance supports Road Safety Week. The Alliance is a group of organisations committed to raising road safety awareness and working to make roads safer. It uses the yellow ribbon, and the colour yellow, as a symbol and commitment to road safety.
There are lots of ways you can support Road Safety Week and raise awareness of road safety using the colour yellow:
- Hold a yellow dress down day, where everyone comes in wearing yellow. If you're running a Bright Day or Beep Beep! Day in Road Safety Week, it's easy to turn those yellow.
- Wear a yellow ribbon or yellow ribbon pin to show your support.
- Display a yellow ribbon on/in your building or vehicle. (If displaying on vehicles, ensure you are displaying in line with vehicle safety requirements for all motor vehicles or Heavy Motor Vehicles).
- Light a building, bridge or other icon in yellow for the week.
A number of buildings, bridges and other icons around the country were lit yellow for Road Safety Week:
- Vector Lights Auckland Harbour Bridge - Auckland
- Anzac Parade Bridge - Hamilton
- #LoveTaupo sign - Taupo
- Yellow ribbons in shop windows - Otorohanga
- Clock tower - New Plymouth
- Trees - Inglewood
- Glockenspiel Clock - Stratford
- Water tower - Hawera
- Clock tower - Carterton
- Town square - Masterton
- The Fantail - Upper Hutt
- The Michael Fowler Centre - Wellington
- Opera House - Oamaru
- Trees - Queenstown
The Yellow Ribbon Alliance is very grateful to all the local councils and other organisations that have helped to organise this - Vector Lights, Hamilton City Council, Taupo District Council, Otorohanga District Council, South Taranaki District Council, Wairarapa Road Safety Council, Michael Fowler Centre, Upper Hutt City Council, Waitaki District Council and Queenstown Lakes District Council.
The Yellow Ribbon Road Safety Alliance consists of the following members: Road Safety Education, Brake, Bridgestone, BOC, NZ Steel, Rotary, VTNZ.
Road Safety Hero Award
The Alliance also presents an award annually during Road Safety Week to a Road Safety Hero; someone who has gone above and beyond to make a difference to road safety.