Our theme for 2020: Step Up for Safe Streets
This Road Safety Week (9-15 November) we want everyone to 'Step up for Safe Streets' and learn about, shout about and celebrate the amazing design-led solutions that will allow us all to get around in safe and healthy ways, every day.
Safe journeys happen when we design our road transport network so that human error doesn’t result in death or serious injury. This approach of safety by design is known as the safe system approach and the great news is that the solutions are known and available to us now! From safety technology in vehicles, to speed limits that reflect the safety of the roads, we can all step up to learn about, shout about and celebrate these proven solutions.
Healthy journeys are important to help keep us healthy, fit and happy. We need to make sure that choosing to walk or cycle doesn’t put us at increased risk and that the air we breathe on our journeys is clean. We know the solutions here too – we need to prioritise safe spaces for travel on foot and by bike and ensure that the vehicles that remain on our roads use ultra-low emission technology.
We can all step up and play a part in the celebration of safe system solutions and the creation of a safe and healthy future:
- Individuals can step up by pledging to use roads safely, minimise vehicle use and shout out for safe system solutions.
- Schools can help young people step up and learn how to create a safe and healthy future and shout out for change.
- Organisations can step up their policies and procedures to ensure they choose safe systems solutions.
- Emergency service professionals can step up to highlight their vital role in helping keep us safe.
- Policy-makers can step up by developing and mandating safe systems solutions.
- Every death or serious injury on our roads is a tragedy and each one is preventable. Step up for Safe Streets and do your bit for a safe and healthy future.